After the Bulloughs

After the Bulloughs

In 1957 the Island of Rum and the Castle passed into public ownership through the sale by Lady Bullough to the Nature Conservancy (the predecessor of the current owners Scottish Natural Heritage).  There was a stipulation that the island “be used in perpetuity as a nature reserve and Kinloch Castle maintained as far as may be practicable“. Despite the best efforts of SNH over the years it has been unable to keep pace with the internal and external ravages of time and weather. This is largely due to lack of government funding as the Castle does not fall within the specific remit of SNH. Kinloch Castle has been on the Buildings at Risk Register since 2004. 

Following the Kinloch Castle Future Options – Briefing Pack – May 2013 -A945631- which considered a wide range of options, it became obvious that KCFA were the main interested party ready to take action to restore the castle. This was followed by Kinloch Castle Stage 2 – Final report from PRT (2014) – 2 September 2015 (A1734504)  KCFA are looking to the castle having a new and sustainable future restored to once more being a hostel and from there further improvements.